Wednesday 28 September 2011

Yamaha SG-40 Japanese-made singlecut solidbody electric guitar from 1972

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Here's a Yamaha SG-40, another of their earlier solidbody guitars, this one dating from 1972. It's a relation of the Les Paul-like Yamaha SG-45 that we already looked at back in March of this year, but is has a bolt-on neck rather than a set neck, and a generous and attractive German carve to the top, with body and headstock face finished in a vibrant solid red. Together with the angled neck pickup, this guitar has something of a Mosrite vibe.

Specs include: bolt-on mahogany neck with bound rosewood fretboard, pearloid dot inlays, 22 frets, 2 humbucking pickups, adjustable terminator type hard-tail bridge, original Yamaha tear-drop tuners, 24 3/4" scale length with a nut width of 1-3/4"

Currently listd on eBay with a Buy It now price of $795.

G L Wilson

© 2011, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

7 comments:

  1. I have the exact same Yahama guitar as above with the red glaze and wood neck and I brought it in the mid 60. It has been a lovely guitar to play and has travelled with me all over Victoria to gigs.
    I used it with a copy of a fender amp which I had built and then when I could afford it I brought a Fender The Twin. The guitar sound great through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mid 60s? But the very first Yamaha solidbodies were the SG-2 and SG-3 and these were in production between 1966-67. These were followed by the assymetrical SG-5 and SG-7 models.

      Any way of pinning a more accurate date on your guitar?

      Delete
    2. eu tenho a sg-20 , to vendendo.

      Delete
  2. hi, i have a yamaha sg-60t in ebay right now. with a style brige jazzmaster

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a Yamaha SG 60... SG 40 model have a plain body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a SG-40S. It has dots on the fretboard. The SG-60T has lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I thought I brought it in the mid 60's but I now believe I brought it in the mid 70'S. Sorry for any confusion. Still a great guitar to play and am still playing it today.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis