Thursday 29 September 2011

1981 Ibanez Blazer Bass - one of the earliest appearances of the Swirl finish, perhaps?

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Made in Japan by Hoshino Gakki Co. in 1981, this Ibanez Blazer bass is finished in red/black swirl. I'd always thought that those swirl finishes began in the 1990s with Steve Vai and his Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars, but I admit I am not an Ibanez expert.

This Blazer bass is modelled closely on the Fender Precision Bass (whilst the Blazer guitar is similarly modelled on the Stratocaster). Dare I say it, but to my eyes it looks much more attractive than a P-Bass, which I always thought looked rather "clunky". Note the (now tarnished) brass hardware which was commonplace on Japanese guitars and basses of this era. The body is Ash underneath that swirl so it ought to be good and solid, the neck is maple, and the bass is equipped with Super P-4 pickups.

The seller claims that "The neck on this bass is so sweet it puts a Fender to shame!", which could be seller's spin but I am seriously inclined to believe, especially given the period in which this was made.

Currently listed on eBay with a very reasonable Buy It Now price of $449.

G L Wilson

© 2011, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis