Tuesday 28 May 2013

1999 Gibsonesque Fender Toronado


I find it strange that the Fender Toronado, introduced in 1998 and discontinued in 2006, didn't become a standard Fender model, in addition to their more classic guitars. It is clearly an incursion on Gibson's territory with its humbuckers, tune-o-matic bridge and stop tail, shorter scale, four knobs, switch on the upper horn and in the case of this one even a very SG-like pickguard, but why not, it is a fine looking guitar, and it deserved to be given a chance (what if the rules of current capitalism had been applied at the birth of electric guitars? - we'd probably still play accordion).

Though it was short-lived, there've been many versions of the Toronado, with different pickguards, finishes, electronics and pickups - as you can see on the Toronado Tumblr.  

Bertram D

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

4 comments:

  1. I knew someone who played a pair of these in his band. They always sounded fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to own one of these 12 years ago which I replaced by a telecaster deluxe (same pickups and electronics) because I prefered the look and the Fender bridge with the strings through the body but really the sound of both guitars is really similar and fantastic especially if you mix the pickups (bridge full and a touch of neck pickup)very versatile guitar and nice sounds but closer to an SG then to a classic Fender.

      Delete
  2. Your Tornado pic reminds me of a Reverend in looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a nice sunburst version in a shop near me going for a (I think, very reasonable) €450 a couple of weeks ago. If I needed a(nother) guitar, I would have given it a closer look. It does look pretty good and for an original design good value for the money. I would definitely favour this over a Squier. I do have two Squiers so I know they can be OK (before anyone says anything).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis