Saturday, 29 December 2012

1957 Ibanez Hi-Tone early Japanese solid body


This 1957 Ibanez Hi-Tone is a collector's dream (if its eBay seller is right about it - I couldn't find any other information source). One of the first Ibanez ever built, it also has an original though very simple design, and quite special hardware with a compensated bridge and a stoptail that I'm surprised didn't become a standard (must have a flaw, though I cannot guess what) -  and it has a maple body.

Thanks to David for sending a link to this guitar! 

Bertram D

© 2012, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - 10 years and counting!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Design. Simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this model branded as "Guyatone". It's funny how it looks almost prehistoric compared with American guitars from the same era.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I love that tailpiece. MUST. COPY. IMMEDIATELY. Where's Bertram?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I could do something like this by hand with a piece of aluminium and a roundheaded hammer... :-)

      Delete
  4. The "flaw" would probably be that if you're a bit of a butterfingers like me, it would be hard to keep the ball ends of the strings in place while you restring it. I've got a similar tailpiece on my Kay and it drives me up the wall. Awesome guitar though, I particularly like the chunky bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the bridge isn't in the right position, so set up definitely. Price doesn't seem outrageous (yet). Includes OHSC, which is pretty unusual.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis