Wednesday 28 October 2015

1973 Hayman 3030. The Happy Birthday to R.W. edition

guitarz.blogspot.com:



Firstly, my apologies for a minimal amount of posts recently. Life has been pretty busy and though the actual posting of cool guitar pictures doesn't take long, the scouring of the web to find said guitars takes a while.
I do miss it. Both the posting and the scouring.

That said, not all is sad and busy in my world. I finally got a guitar I've been coveting for years. A Hayman 3030. I sold a bass and some smaller gear and got myself this awesome birthday gift.

The good:
1) This thing is in impeccable shape for something nearly my age. So very clean with just enough wear to show it's been properly used.
2) Almost everything is original and even has the oft-lost headstock disk.
3) It's super quiet. I've not had a chance to test it in a band environment, but at studio levels there is no noise at all.
4) I love the neck on this thing. It feels like home.
5) About 1/3 the cost of the last few 3030s I've seen for sale.

The Bad:
1)It's not all original.
2) The trademark pickguard with appliance style control plate is gone. The replacement is well made and in my opinion it looks pretty great.
3) The Re-An pickups are gone too. The replacements look similar to the humbucker on my Burns Steer, but more research leads me to believe that they could be late 1970 Dimarzio Super 2s. I'm not sure how to feel about this as I've never had Dimarzio pickups in any of my guitars. Time will tell.
4) The tuners have been replaced with Sperzel locking tuners. I know this may not be a bad thing but I'm the guy that wraps as much string on the post as he can. I've been that way for 30 years, going to take a lot to get past that.

The good very much outweighs the bad here. It's going to be a very happy birthday for this fella!

R.W. Haller

© 2015, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

2 comments:

  1. Long time ago a friend of mine had a Shergold Masquerader so the next incarnation of this etc. It was a very good guitar I remember - this looks a great purchase. One thing having been modded if you aren' t happy with the pickups etc. you don't feel like it is a crime to look for replacements does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog Buddy, that guitar is amazing.i have planned to buy a guitar but i am confused between C F Martin 000X1AE and C F Martin DXK2AE, which one should i buy?? i am thinking to buy from musikshack.com, an online musical instrument store

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis