Saturday 3 May 2014

The Swanee Singer - Guaranteed not to split!

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Our friend Eric Geevers writes:
I'm fixing this guitar for someone, but I can buy it at a fairly low price. Bit of a twist in the neck, but we'll see what happens. 'Germany', and it's said that it's pre-WWII. I can believe that! What do we say?
Does anyone have any more info on this guitar for Eric (and for the others of us who are also curious)?

G L Wilson

© 2014, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

3 comments:

  1. Gallotone? Produced in South Africa in the 50's & 60's. John Lennon's first guitar was a Gallotone. They had "guaranteed not to split" on their labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was one- identical to this guitar for sale on ebay recently and it was made in Mannheim by Feldmann- 1920s or 1930s- so it is German- and the one on ebay was sold from Germany. These words should get you to the listing- it's a Wandergitarre- or Wander Guitar- German romantics1

    "Parlor Parlour steel string guitar old germany blues guitar Wandergitarre"

    I actually own a very similar guitar- slightly smaller and thirty years ago one of Britain's top guitar makers re-fretted it for me- I really was wasting his time but he did it and charged me a few pennies- he was good like that!
    I think if the guitar was sold in Germany the maker's name was in it but in Britain- I think the importers kept the country of manufacture a secret for obvious reasons. I imagine it does not split because it is probably made of plywood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi G.L., this guitar was indeed made in Germany, to be more precise it was built in Markneukirchen/Saxony in the 20´s by a Company named RIDI which was short for "Richard Dick". I have the exact same guitar in my collection but with the original RIDI sign, showing that it was built for selling it inside Germany. Labels like Gallotone, Swanee Singer and many others were export brands. Hope this helps ?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis