Monday 28 March 2011

Egmond and Dutch pronounciation


Dutch guitars Egmond were mostly known for their cheap student guitars - they provided some to several young English chaps who made good use of them back in the day - John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Keith Richards, Brian May, Rory Gallagher... 

I could not find much about this one but its gear looks crude, and the upside-down trem doesn't help - the person who mounted it this way obviously couldn't tell from it how to do it properly... 

Anyway, I made a little googling about it and found the egmondguitars.nl website where I figured out that until now I always thought of Egmond as Egg-mond - pronounced the English way... But on this website, there is a sound documentary in Dutch that allowed me to hear the name said properly, with the G pronounce like the German CH - even a little bit more guttural (I should have thought of it, I lived in Amsterdam for a while!)... So it sounds more like "Ekhmont".

This was my today's contribution to the Great History of Electric Guitar ! 

Bertram

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis