Tuesday 6 March 2012

1964 Gibson Barney Kessel


We've seen a Gibson Barney Kessel already on Guitarz but I can't help showing again this extremely desirable guitar, with one of my favorite feature: a double florentine cutaway on a semi-hollow body! (Actually on the top of my guitars wish list is the Vox HDC 77, one of the coolest guitars ever, as much for its looks than for its technical specs, check it if you don't know it yet!)

Barney Kessel was a key musician in the evolution of electric guitars playing - as a jazz musician, solo, fronting a band or as a side man for the giants (Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Rollins...), or as a session musician supporting the Beach Boys, Phil Spector or the Monkees...

Couldn't find a video on YouTube featuring Kessel playing this guitar, but I can't resist showing this song (if I'm not wrong he's playing a Gibson L5 with a Charlie Christian pickup, tell me if you know better). It reminds me of this classic joke: when you do jazz, you play 3000 chords in front on 3 people, when you do rock, you play 3 chords in front of 3000...


Bertram

© 2012, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis