Monday 28 May 2012

Fender Classical Stratocaster - nylon strung Strat from Japan

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Here's another apparently "pickup-less" solidbody, this time it's a Fender Stratocaster Classical from Fender Japan. It's equipped with piezo pickups in the bridge saddles and is strung with nylon strings. I'm really curious to know what those nylon strings sound like with the Strat tremolo. It's not something that classical guitar usually calls for, although I doubt this would be used for playing classical guitar upon anyway. It's more an instrument for the rock guitarist who's after the nylon strung sound for certain particular songs.

The seller thinks this may be a one-off or a prototype, although I think this is doubtful. It's most likely a Fender Japan model that was not made for export outside of Japan.

G L Wilson

© 2012, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

7 comments:

  1. As far as I'm aware the prototype was made for Swedish shredmeister Yngwie Malmsteen, and a very small production run was made. But I may be mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yngwie nylon-strung Strat differed though in various aspects: large 70-style headstock, maple fretboard (scalloped), and a pickguard (which looked even weirder with no pickups and just a single volume control).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 pm

    Makes me wonder what the spring arrangement is like on the vibrato - I wonder if the nylon strings have enough elasticity/tension as steel strings to get in balance with the bridge?

    I can't seem to conjour up in my mind how a flamenco/acoustic/power-ballad dive-bomb might sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you I wonder how that sounds with that bridge - bit odd I'd suspect most "solid acoustics" still go for an acoustic type bridge for the transfer of string vibration to the pickup - also not seen many Bach pieces where a Tremolo is needed - maybe I could use it at the end of Toccata and Fugue perhaps though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvelous work pals, I love reading your articles.
    ug

    ReplyDelete
  6. That... can't... POSSIBLY... work!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis