Friday 6 July 2012

You Rock Guitar launch YRG-Pro MIDI guitar Kickstarter project

guitarz.blogspot.com: Now this is something that really interests me, because although I am a guitarist I do have an active interest in producing electronic music. To be able to play synth sounds via a guitar-like interface, or to "silently" record straight into my laptop via USB is mightily appealing to me. I had considered the You Rock Guitar previously, but the original model does have the disadvantage of looking quite toy-like and plasticky. You wouldn't be so wrong to compare it to a guitar-shaped games controller, for it can operate in that capacity too.

However, when I saw the first images of the YRG Pro model with all the electronics housed in a proper wooden guitar body, well that made the package look much more like what I had in mind. (Having used a Yamaha EZ-EG, I know how limiting a flimsy plastic MIDI guitar is - you wouldn't really want to take it out and gig with it).

Anyway, You Rock Guitar are trying to raise $80,000 to get this project up and running, and you can pledge money via Kickstarter in return for a reward depending on the amount you pledge - and Yes, that does include the MIDI guitars themselves.

G L Wilson

© 2012, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

4 comments:

  1. I had a Yamaha EZ EG for using with my DAW software but found the latency unuseable. On a keyboard I can handle a little slow latency In a guitar format I just couldn't get my head around it. Also I missed the feedback from the guitar not the noise from the speaker type feedback but the feel of the strings and the vibration through the body.
    This is almost a tempting propostion and a dedicated Midi guitar is a great idea and if it works and feels like a guitar when you play it, would be a great tool for me.
    I'm a bit dissapointed in the generic Strat design and pointless ugly headstock I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latency is not a proble nowdays with a GtM controller. You can even shred with MIDI.
      Mr. Andras Szalay, inventor of all Shadow controllers in the eighties, then Axxon later and many other innovations did it well in his new device (I was partially involved in the development).
      Hopefully the new wireless production model will be available soon from Fishmann. They introduced the first version in NAMM, that works via computer, but the full version will have a stompbox for many settings. It's not the Roland standard, completely different.
      It has many smart features, like arpeggiator, tone hold, etc.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind the Strat-esque shape - at least it looks like a real guitar - but I knond of agree with you about the pointless headstock. I think I'd have preferred it if they'd left it headless - there're no strings to tune after all. However, I don't think I'd go so far to remove the headstock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you use Guitar-to-MIDI converters?
    You can keep your favorite guitar and yet play on synth.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis