Saturday 8 May 2010

Yamaha SBV basses

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Kevin posted this picture of his Yamaha SBV basses in the comments beneath my post last week about my Yamaha SGV-300 guitar. I thought it was a photo that deserved a proper airing on the blog itself.

Kevin comments:
I'm lucky enough to own two SBV basses, the build quality of Yamaha guitars is amazing for the price. Really love them, so much so that they get more play than my Lakland which is technically the much better instrument. Really hope Yamaha revisit this style at some point as their current designs are a little boring.
One Yamaha bass that I'm on the look-out for is the Yamaha SB-2, which was the bass sibling to the SG-2 guitar (similar to my own SG-3). I've seen photos but I do believe they are pretty scarce. I doubt many examples exist outside of Japan.

Returning to the topic of the SGV/SBV, having been playing my SGV-300 these past couple of weeks I am really beginning to appreciate what an excellent design it is. I'm a big fan of the Ovation Breadwinner, but I'd go as far as to suggest that the SGV/SBV design predates the Breadwinner as a truly ergonically-designed guitar. I don't know if it was designed specifically with ergonomics in mind or if it was just serendipitous, but the guitar hangs well on a strap, sits nicely on the lap when sitting, and has the right-forearm support on its contoured body that make it comfortable to play.

G L Wilson

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

1 comment:

  1. What's the history and what year or years was the sbv made? I bought one a few years back knowing nothing about it except its played nice, still have it too

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis