Thursday 30 December 2010

1974 Gibson Les Paul Signature Sunburst

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Here's another Les Paul, and one of my own personal favourites - but you know me - it most probably appeals because within the sphere of Les Pauls its a bit of an oddity. Looking for all the world like a hybrid  a Gibson 335/Les Paul, the Gibson Les Paul Signature - produced between 1973 and 1978 - is a semi-hollowbody guitar. Now, some would say a semi-hollowbody Les Paul was an oxymoron because a Les Paul by definition should be a solidbody guitar. I think it's this breaking the rules attitude that appeals to me. However, it could have been even more bizarre. I seem to remember seeing pictured in a guitar book many years ago, a Gibson Les Paul Jumbo acoustic guitar with cutaway and pickup (single, I think). Now surely that couldn't be further away from the Les Paul ethos? (And I need to find a picture of one of these!)

The Signature differs also in that its controls consist of volume, treble tone, midrange tone, and in/out phase switch, and it has two output jack sockets - high-impedance on the guitar's top, and low-impedance for recording on the rim.

Most Gibson Les Paul Signatures were finished as gold tops - this is one of the rarer sunburst models, of which there were only 84 produced, and this example is currently being offered for sale on eBay with a Buy It Now price of £2,995.

G L Wilson

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, GL.

    I just picked up a Tobacco burst LP Signature today. I also see one on Ebay at the moment. I've heard as many as 380 Tobaccos were made. I'm curious, where did you get your production number from?

    Thanks,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, it's not mine, just a guitar I was writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand that. What I was asking was, where did you get the number "84" for the number of Tobacco Burst Les Paul Signatures produced? What was your source?

      Delete
  3. I had this model with a gold top. One of the dumbest things I've ever done was to sell it! This is my favorite of all the Les Paul models. This tobacco burst looks beautiful. Maybe if the gods smile on me enough I'll get one again before my days are over! :0)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis