Monday 20 December 2010

Heavy Metal Mandolin?

guitarz.blogspot.com:

This is a Gibson solidbody mandolin based on the Futura body design (an early variation of the more familiar Explorer). Made from Korina as were early Vs and Explorers, it's a prototype pre-production instrument built in the 1990s by Roger Giffin.

Note that it is a 4-string as were Fender's solidbody mandolins.

This mandolin is currently being offered for sale on eBay with a Buy It Now price just shy of £5,000. Note that the eBay seller is musicgroundinc. I believe I have seen this very instrument when I was buying my Yamaha SG-3 in the Music Ground shop in London's Denmark Street earlier this year and I wished I'd taken a photograph at the time. (I know the listing says "Item location: Doncaster", but surely it couldn't be that much of a coincidence?)

More photos here.

Thanks to Karl for bringing this mandolin to my attention.

G L Wilson

Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis