Saturday 3 December 2011

UK Subs' Nicky Garrett's custom Breadwinners including world's only Breadwinner doubleneck

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Nicky Garrett of legendary British punk band UK Subs is an Ovation Breadwinner/Deacon fan. He owns three original Ovation Breadwinners but rather than risk using those live on stage with the UK Subs, he's had these replicas built. In his own words:
I don't recall ever using a breadwinner or deacon with the Subs, but I liked the balance so much that I asked John at Gordon-Smith to build me two custom guitars for the road which I've toured with many times. These copies have the guts of the Gordon-Smith GS1 but the shape of the Breadwinner. The headstock shape was my idea, with a 4 - 2 machine head configuration. I also had him put tremolos on them to bridge a bit of gap between the 'Gibson' sound and a Strat.

Just for kicks, John also built me a Breadwinner twin neck 12/6 which, as far as I know, is the world's only twin neck breadwinner.
Read more here on the UK Subs Time and Matter website. Thanks to Guitarz reader James Davies for alerting me to this page.

G L Wilson

© 2011, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis