Friday 11 January 2013

1960s Kent hollowbody short-scale model 743 bass

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Short-scale basses are not for everyone and certainly don't suit certain styles of modern music, but I'm quite fond of these "little thumpers". I don't know what it sounds like or how playable it is or how well it is set-up, but for me this 1960s Kent hollowbody shortscale model 743 bass is an absolutely gorgeous piece of guitar design.

It's a Made in Japan masterpiece. Check out that slanted neck pickup; of course the Japanese guitar industry was heavily influenced by Mosrite, the chosen guitars of their instrumental axe-wielding heroes, The Ventures.

Witness also the triple binding around the sides of the instrument. Also, the tortoiseshell binding inside the f-holes and around the fingerboard. You get the impression that this was a real luxury edition.

Currently listed for sale on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $849.

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!

8 comments:

  1. what a beauty!

    and if you'd string it with baritone guitar gauge strings, you'd have a baritone tenor guitar - I'd love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you could use "baritone ukulele" tuning.

      Delete
  2. Luxury Edition..? It's dripping with it! Binding, 'inside' the f-holes? Nothing short of fantastic. Looks like the bridge cover has knurled knobs for speedy disassembly for muted playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $849 seems like an incredible deal to me. Weirdly beautiful, just the way I like 'em.

    I have a Univox short scale bass from the late 60's - early 70's. I put roundwound strings on it and added a graphite nut. Everything else is stock. It is bright, brassy, and quite suitable for "modern" playing. Do not underestimate the "shortys", as they can be easlily tweeked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom bought me one of these when I was a kid. Beautiful bass. Good bottom end. Regret I sold it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you be interested in my same bass?

      Delete
  5. I have the same bass in next to mint condition and it is now for sale $1,500.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New lower offering price.
    $1100.00

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis