Monday 14 October 2013

Gibson Les Paul / SG Special - very rare 1961 three-quarter scale model

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Here's a rare doublecut 3/4-scale Gibson Les Paul / SG Special from 1961. Note the position of the bridge nearer than usual to the base of the body, plus the extrat length of fingerboard beyond the point where the neck meets the body. According to the eBay listing, which in turn quotes the Vintage Guitar Guide, ther were only 61 of these guitars shipped in 1961.

Currently listed on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $3,000.

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it sounds good but it just looks odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one of these hanging in a music store in my hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden about the time I bought my "lifetime guitar" (a '66 Tele) in the mid 70's. I tried it, loved the sound, but it was also the only guitar I've ever played that was actually to small for my somewhat tiny hands.I had no idea they were that rare, but come to think of it, I don't think I've seen another one since before this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was following a 1959/60 Gibson Melody Maker 3/4 scale in very good condition, on Ebay last year. Towards the end I stopped following it as I assumed it would skyrocket. When I checked bak after the finish, I found it went for £850-ish. I was shocked and a little disappointed that I didn't follow it through. It would have been my first Gibson. But, it does show that vintage guitars from big names can still be had.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis