Thursday 22 May 2008

Switch Guitars - a modern classic and a future collectable?

Switch Future VISwitch Future VI
This eBay Seller has recently had a number of Switch guitars for sale, and from his blurb implies that he has others "waiting in the wings" and not yet listed. These guitars feature one-piece body and neck molded from a plastic material called Vibracell, which apparently has a similar consistency to mahogany. The sustain is supposedly an improvement on mahogany, and of course being entirely wood-free, these guitars have very good green credentials.

The example pictured above is the Future VI model, which appears to have been influenced by a favourite guitar design of mine, the Burns Flyte guitar.

My local music shop stocked this brand of guitar a few years ago and had examples in some quite eye-dazzling fluorescent colours - yellow, orange, green... I was always quite intrigued by them, but I think the loud colours deterred me somewhat.

The seller of these guitars on eBay has stated that Switch Guitars, the company, is no more (despite the official website still being active, but note the copyright date of 2003-2005 at the bottom of the home page). Perhaps they were too forward-thinking for their own good. I wonder, could these weird plastic guitars be the vintage guitars of the future? I have to admit that I like them.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:42 pm

    Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info.
    top 10 best gaming chair under 200 at zone top 29

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis