Sunday 3 November 2013

One to identify: Oddball singlecut offset-waist guitar, possibly Japanese

guitarz.blogspot.com:
We've had another email from our friend Francis (who previously shared photos and info about this guitar and also this guitar with us) who writes:
Hello Guitarz! Francis again. I always forget to ask you guys about this on the Guitarz blog but I used to own this weird mash-up of a presumably Japanese guitar (it's my girlfriend's now, so I still see it all the time). It's definitely way above the Teisco/Kawai/Guyatone threshold of build quality.

Here's where it gets weird: The tuners have split shafts like Klusons and are three uncovered gears on a plate with heavily yellowed buttons. The headstock shape reminds me a lot of those old Danelectros while the neck dimensions are pretty close to Fender Strat width, 25.5" scale, skinny overall thickness and 12" radius with a D-ish profile. It also has really low frets and a zero fret a la Mosrite. The Dano U2-inspired body is about an inch and a half thick with an odd stoptail that I only remember seeing on some Japanese "lawsuit" LPs. Bridge is a regular Tune-O-Matic. The finish on the whole guitar appears to be somewhere between cherry and walnut with a very slight burst pattern towards the body edges. I'm really not certain if this is poly or nitro. I do remember leaving a strap on it for a while which left a slight depression in the finish following the strap's fabric pattern. The body appears to be a single piece of mahogany, as does the neck. Pickups are Jaguar pickups complete with "claw". The electronics are full-size 500k pots, and a REALLY heavy duty toggle switch. Lastly, apart from an SG-inspired pickguard, the guitar also has an offset waist and feels a bit like a Duo-Sonic or Musicmaster when played standing up.

I really hope you or your readers could help me identify this. It's an interesting piece that I see my girlfriend and I using for years to come.
Hi Francis. That is indeed an oddity. It has an Harmony/Kay vibe to it, and I'm not sure if I've seen an offset waist on a singlecut body before, but I like it! I'm afraid that I personally cannot identify this guitar but perhaps our readers may be able to help?

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting piece, but I sadly cannot offer any useful information on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:39 pm

    Hello
    This is "ELK Groovy"guitar. Made by matsumoku or Fujigen,early 70's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    This is "ELK Groovy"guitar,made by Matsumoku or Fujigen early 70's

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis