Sunday 19 February 2012

The MC5's Michael Davis, RIP

guitarz.blogspot.com:
I'm a huge fan of the MC5 and although I was not old enough to have seen them in the days of the classic line-up of Rob Tyner, Wayne Kramer, Fred "Sonic" Smith, Michael Davis and Dennis Thompson, I did manage to catch the reformed DKT/MC5 version of the group (featuring Kramer, Davis and Thompson plus guest vocalists) three times in the early 2000s and these I remember fondly as some of my favourite ever gigs attended.

So, I was extremely saddened this morning to hear the news that bassist Michael Davis had died on Friday 17 February, aged 68. By a strange piece of coincidence I had chosen to wear an MC5 tshirt when I got up this morning, before I'd read the news.

By way of tribute I would like to share with you these photographs from my personal collection, which I took at a gig at the Oxford Zodiac (as it was then) on 14 June 2005. I apologise for the quality of the pictures (I was using a very basic, low-resolution digital camera) but I think they capture the spirit the occasion nicely.

Other people you may recognise in the photos include Wayne Kramer, Handsome Dick Manitoba, Gilby Clark and Julian Cope.

PLEASE NOTE: The photos in this blog post are all my own so if you do want to use any of them on a forum or a blog or whatever, that's fine, but please credit me and link back here. Thanks.

G L Wilson

© 2012, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 10th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis