Wednesday 17 March 2010

70s Hoyer Explorer

Hoyer Explorer

Strangely, we haven't showed many Explorer models on this blog, though it's as a classical and avant-garde design as the acclaimed Flying V. Is it because it's associated to metal music (even if it's a design from the 50s) and therefore to often ridiculous guitars? Or just because you have either original Gibson or 80s copies and that narrows anecdotes?

Anyway, here we have a beautiful circa 1975 Hoyer Explorer that looks indeed to be a faithful copy of the Gibson original, maybe a little bit less angular, that is a improvement to me. It has the beautiful white binding contrasting with its black finish, always a guaranty of elegance, and something that particularly underlines the pure complexity of the Explorer design.
But I wish Explorers had Flying V triangle headstocks, that would fit much better than the banana ones.

I had thought about making a post about the Gibson 7-string Explorer when it was released but I don't like the idea of doing advertisement for a dominant brand novelty, though to be honest I'm quite interested in this guitar (that I'll never play, too luxurious for me poor guitar lover). I'd love to see a baritone version one day, though Gibson seems to have given up any kind of creativity now, and capitalizes endlessly on a glorious past (even Epiphone has more new models!)


Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - now in its 9th year!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis