Saturday 5 January 2013

British-made John Birch guitar with interchangeable pickups

guitarz.blogspot.com:
Although it bears the logo of string manufacturer RotoSound, this guitar is the product of legendary British luthiers John Birch. The pickups are interchangeable and can be changed from the rear of the guitar. The eBay listing tells how the whole interchangeable pickup concept came from Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi.

One of the things I like about this guitar is its symmetry. You could flip it over for a left-handed player and the layout would be exactly the same. It even has output jacks on both sides of the guitar.

This guitar is currently listed on eBay with bidding currently at $510 at the time of writing.

G L Wilson

© 2013, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!

2 comments:

  1. In an interview, Tony Iommi was asked if he still had the patent to the interchangeable pickup system he helped to develop: "I did years ago, but I probably lost it now. That was about 28 years ago. I had just done it for my own interest. If it was successful I knew people would rip it off."

    TELL us about it! Seen Tony play a number of times and was never disappointed. Never makes a mistake. Always felt interchangeable would ultimately become standard. Like GF's, just because a player's had the same one for years ( doesn't mean he's thrilled about it? )

    Re-fretted the Partscaster and I mean to TELL you that is work! Mostly b/c it was my first attempt and I wasn't very organized. Overall fairly pleased and I'd recommend it even if you only do it once. Now I have most of the tools and I'm fresh out of excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own that guitar! :o

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis