Monday 23 March 2015

Hondo Deluxe 757 Tele copy from the 1980s

guitarz.blogspot.com:





When I started playing guitar as a teenager in the 80s we all had the "cheap" knockoffs of the guitars we thought we really wanted. I personally knew at least 8 players with Hondo guitars. They were all Les Paul and Stratocaster copies. I knew they made other models, especially those inspired by the decade, but never before have I seen a Hondo telecaster.

This made in Japan Hondo Deluxe 757 looks to be in great shape and I really like the lemony sunburst. 

At $150 Canadian the only thing keeping me from this awesome copy is mere logistics as it's a few big provinces away from where i am.

R.W. Haller


© 2015, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen a Hondo Tele like this one before too, looking nice. Most of the Hondos that I've seen were in surprisingly good condition. I own a Hondo Strat from the same era, a Deluxe Series 760. You said that this Tele was made in Japan, how do you know? I thought that all of these were made in Korea. I'm asking just out of pure curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Witek,

    I think that production changed from Japan to Korea in 1984 or 1985. The seller claims that it is made in Japan, and since the few I found with a quick search were late 70s/early 80s i can only assume this one is as well.
    cheers
    rw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only the Professional Series were made in Japan from 1980-81. Everything else was Korean. Damn near every seller claims they're Japanese unless the Made in Korea sticker hasn't been taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite certain Korean. Not a bad thing though the market for Korean Tele's has risen considerably in the past few years. MIJ would be marked clearly by trade law & because the Japan manufacturers reputation by this period was a selling point in itself. Samick made contracted by a Texas distributor I think A.M.I. but don't hold me to that on but definitely Samick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite certain Korean. Not a bad thing though the market for Korean Tele's has risen considerably in the past few years. MIJ would be marked clearly by trade law & because the Japan manufacturers reputation by this period was a selling point in itself. Samick made contracted by a Texas distributor I think A.M.I. but don't hold me to that on but definitely Samick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own this very same tele right now.I could tell by all the markings on the body,and neck.It plays,and sounds great,and looks hot.The neck is smooth like a US standard tele.I was shocked to find it here.Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis